Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Rubbing eyes

Discussion in 'Symptoms' started by missgord, Jul 21, 2014.

1. missgord

missgord Member

Does anyone else's eyes get really blurry and distorted when they rub them? This never happened to me before VS. Now if I've been looking at a computer screen, when I rub my eyes, everything gets really blurry for a solid 30 seconds to a minute and I just have to wait for it to ease up. Terrified me the first time it happened!

2. Davin Basi

Davin Basi New Member

Hello Melissa! Yes, my eyes go temporarily very blurry when I rub them! I have no idea whether or not this is a VS-related symptom, but I can certainly relate to what you are describing :) VS does crazy things to your vision, so I wouldn't be surprised if it was related in some way :)

Last edited: Jul 21, 2014
  3. Jackie Vest

Jackie Vest Active Member

Yes me too :) This also happens if I have my eyes closed for a little while as well (for example, when praying for a few minutes).

Davin Basi likes this.
  4. missgord

missgord Member

Thanks for answering guys! This is definitely VS related for me. In other news I just tried opening my eyes in the pool just now. Definitely isn't as easy as it used to be.

Davin Basi likes this.
  5. Davin Basi

Davin Basi New Member

Yeah I think you are right :) When you wake up in the morning, do you find that your vision is really blurry? until you wash your eyes or they begin to water? :)

6. missgord

missgord Member

My vision is definitely worst right when I first open my eyes in the morning. Takes like 30 seconds to a minute to adjust (sometimes longer to get everything into focus). I don't know what you mean by "begin to water" though. Eventually everything just comes into focus/I adjust. I also have my worst afterimages right when I first wake up. If I look at my tv (not on) and then look away at the white wall, I see a bright glowing outline of the TV on the wall. Is this a positive or negative afterimage? I never understood that!

This is unrelated, but for the last three weeks, my ears have been feeling clogged, and I keep having to pop them. I googled and I found that this can be a migraine symptom, so maybe this is VS related? (Persistent migraine with aura...) Anyone else ever experience this?

7. Davin Basi

Davin Basi New Member

I can relate to everything you said there! Visual acuity and afterimages are terrible when I wake up! I mean when your eyes begin to water, like they do sometimes when they are a bit dry. I find that improves my vision after I wake up. In my opinion, I think it's some kind of oily discharge on the cornea that you get when you wake up, and because we have VS, we are hypersensitive to it and it affects our vision, whereas it wouldn't do for a non-VS person. This is just me taking a guess though haha!

My ears feel a bit clogged too, and it seems that it probably is VS related. Although I don't think what we have is persistent migraine with aura (Dr.Schankin and Dr.Goadsby have confirmed that VS is different to this, although there is some overlap) :)

8. missgord

missgord Member

I'm not sure what persistent migraine with aura is then, though. I was under the impression that Goadsby and Schankin were just saying that this wasn't like a typical prolonged migraine. However, I think that a lot of the symptoms still resemble migraine symptoms... that's why I made the analogy. I really need to read their whole paper.

I'm so glad you can relate to everything!! I did have dry eye for a little while a few months ago and got some eye drops. I'll try to pay attention to the amount of moisture in my eyes tomorrow morning and see if I can relate. Your hypothesis definitely makes sense.

9. Davin Basi

Davin Basi New Member

To be fair, I don't think the medical profession truly knows what persistent migraine aura is. In my opinion, I think it's just a term used to describe any weird visual distortions that last for a prolonged period of time that the docs have no idea what is causing it! Dr.Schankin's research states that there might be a pathophysiological link between migraine and VS, so that may be why you have many migraine-esque symptoms :)

Ahh okay. I apparently have dry eyes as well, but the drops don't do much for my ghosting etc. so I don't bother with them if i'm honest! Okay thank you, let me know what you find! :)

10. missgord

missgord Member

Definitely makes sense.

My eyes definitely haven't been dry in the mornings. If anything I feel like there's too much liquid in there. My right eye keeps getting blurry as if there's an extra layer of film over my eye lately. The eye drops helped with my dry eyes, but they didn't help with my vision :)

My ears are definitely clogged though. I notice it because one ear is clogged (usually my right) and it will take me a while to pop it open. At first I thought that the left one was stuck open rather than the right one being stuck closed!

11. Danny C

Danny C New Member

yes they do sometimes the pulse with light when I rub them!

12. Laura

Laura New Member

I get the pulsing light thing when I rub my eyes almost the same reaction as when you get poked in the eye