Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Poll: Other Symptoms

Discussion in 'Symptoms' started by administrator, Jul 14, 2014.

?

Symptoms Accompanying VS

1. Palinopsia (After Images, Trailers)

75.0%
  2. Photopsia (Flashes of Light)

61.1%
  3. Blue Field Entoptic Phenomenon

63.9%
  4. Floaters

94.4%
  5. Shapes and Colors

44.4%
  6. Migraine with Aura

41.7%
  7. Tinnitus

86.1%
  8. Anxiety

72.2%
  9. Other (Reply with Symptoms)

27.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. administrator

administrator Administrator Staff Member

What other symptoms do you experience with your VS?

2. Jackie Vest

Jackie Vest Active Member

Black and white "data" few times a week when blinking? Not sure how to describe it. Also experience hand numbness and tingling. Not sure if related to VS or not.

Kirsty and Laura like this.
  3. Cooper James Smith

Cooper James Smith New Member

Anyone ever gotten up quickly from a seating or laying down position and had very discernable black/white dots fly around like crazy for about 10 seconds?

4. Nicola

Nicola New Member

When getting up in the mornings or from a seated position my vision consist of manly blue, black and white dots which gradually go along with a faint feeling. Like a normal head rush that most people get but the visual side is way more intense

5. Jackie Vest

I do when I'm dehydrated or after strenuous exercise.

6. Riddle

Riddle New Member

I get a weird black shape when I blink in a low light setting. Sort of like a diamond shape. It does go white sometimes if I blink rapidly. Is this similar to what you're experiencing?

Kirsty and Laura like this.
  7. Jackie Vest

No, not exactly. It sounds so crazy to describe. Like right before I blink (so quickly and suddenly, I'm not even sure if it's before or after the blink) I see like a negative of what could be described as words or documents or even matrix looking data. I have no clue how to describe this! Maybe it's a complete negative of everything I see right before I blink, not sure. I'm hardly ever staring at pages of documents or anything that would explain why it looks that way. Ahhh I sound nuts :)

8. Jackie Vest

I forgot to mention, it's in my entire field of vision. Not an object or shape I see, but I see the negative or the data as my entire scene briefly. It happens a few times a week. When I get a migraine with aura, it will occur with nearly every blink for about a week after that episode.

Laura likes this.
  9. missgord

missgord Member

I get brief tingles, usually in my extremities, and not every day. It is a light tingling, somewhat similar to "pins and needles" from "falling asleep", but lighter and slightly different. I get tremors (usually in my fingers - particularly my left pinkie). I will also get muscle twitches (if I raise my lip to make a "grossed out" face my whole cheek shakes now). I get headaches sometimes (not too bad). I also have tinnitus, which goes up and down, but usually is pretty low (knock on wood!). For a while I had muscle tenderness/pains, especially on my chest (I've had a lot of EKGs - all normal). I also get all sorts of weird vision things other than the typical stuff in the survey, but they barely even phase me anymore. I have never had a migraine. I don't think I have anything like the other visual stuff you guys described, but I have other visual things. All of my symptoms started at the same time, so I know they're all related (not sure if that helps you Jackie!).

10. Riddle

Riddle New Member

Ah ok, haven't experienced that one myself. Mine is also when blinking but only in certain lighting and only in central vision. It's strange because it's like that area of vision has a brief lag in low light - noticed it after VS but for all I know had it for years without realising. VS made me analyse everything vision related!

Strangely, I asked my mother if she sees anything when she blinks in low light and she described the exact shape and movement of the thing I see without me telling her. She also has VS.

Kirsty likes this.
  11. Jackie Vest

That's interesting your mother also has vs and sees the exact same thing. I don't believe anyone in my family does.

Riddle likes this.
  12. missgord

missgord Member

I think this happens to me! I kind of notice that if I'm looking at things in the dark, it's really black in front of my eyes but I can see better in my peripherals. And I think I noticed the diamond thing over the weekend. Thought of you when it happened! :)

Kirsty and Riddle like this.
  13. Riddle

Riddle New Member

Yeah it's very strange, the diamond thing only lasts a split second but happens every time I open my eyes or blink in low light (usually while looking at a plain surface). It's almost like a delay in the central vision. I tried opening both eyes individually and they both have it. Sometimes notice the darker area when my eyes are shut too. No idea when it started but I didn't notice it until after my VS!

Kirsty likes this.
  14. Laura

Laura New Member

Does anyone get any electric shock sensations or burning mouth sensations that seem tied in with this

15. missgord

missgord Member

Laura - I can't believe you just posted this!!! So, I don't get electric shock sensations (are you getting them when you tilt your head forward?), but I do get some tingling (used to get a lot more). The burning mouth sensations I definitely get. It seems to be associated with the anti-seizure medications that I'm trying, but I also get it sometimes when I'm not on them. My mouth doesn't burn so much as my tongue feels sore and I guess kinda tingly and weird and dry, but that can apparently be a symptom of BMS (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burning_mouth_syndrome). I did find this article: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18305436. Are you on any medications?

Jackie Vest likes this.
  16. Bobby Rae

Bobby Rae New Member

Other: Pain from light

17. Kirsty

Kirsty New Member

Riddle... I also get that when blinking in low light, it was just the diamond thing before that I noticed but now I've noticed a dark patch in the centre of my eyes when I open them in low light (in bed for example) and it's really making me anxious :( is it very common do u know? Do any of u guys also have it and is it ok? Thanks to anyone in advance x

Riddle likes this.
  18. Riddle

Riddle New Member

Hi Kirsty. Not sure how common it is but I've asked about it before on the VS Facebook group and there were a couple of others who see similar. I also found some other online references to people having it when I was obsessively searching about it last year!

I still have it but I've had an MRI, ERG, VEP and visual fields test and eyes thoroughly examined and all was fine. My mother also sees the same thing and she has VS too so it seems to me that it's related.

Worth getting checked out though for peace of mind. I've been worrying about it a lot less since I had tests and also knowing my mother sees the same thing.

19. Kirsty

Kirsty New Member

Thanks for the quick reply, good to hear all the tests u had came back clear.. what is ERG & VEP? I will make a doctor's and opticians appointment for hopefully peace of mind.. I struggle with opticians appointments tho because of the light sensitivity. I also get patches in my eyes when I go into the dark/dim from normal light.

20. Riddle

Riddle New Member

No problem. Don't check in very often now as am more "at peace" with my VS, but I get email notifications for replies on this thread.

ERG is an electroretinogram and VEP is visual evoked potential - they're eye tests which can detect problems along the visual pathway from the eye to the brain.

If you are really worried then it's worth seeing if a GP can refer you to an ophthalmologist at the hospital rather than visiting the optician.