Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Neck Pain and Hand/Arm Numbness

Discussion in 'Symptoms' started by Jackie Vest, Oct 20, 2014.

1. Jackie Vest

Jackie Vest Active Member

In addition to VS, I have early arthritis (I'm 29) and 2 bulging discs in my neck. My VS symptoms became much worse as the pain/tightness in my neck increased. In January of this year I was actually unable to function from the pain. The two neck issues would also cause my neck muscles to seize up and spasm. I could not sleep at night for several months. Couldn't move my head. I was also having numbness in my hands/arms/upper back constantly. I do not know if they are related (the VS and the neck problems) but it would certainly make sense to me. I've heard a lot of VS sufferers complain of neck issues. The neck pain sometimes causes headaches that start at the base of my neck and wrap upwards.

As for treatment, I have been to many physical therapy sessions (Tens unit, traction, stretches, heat, massage) with wonderful BUT temporary relief. I finally saw a physical therapist specializing in the McKenzie Method where I learned to treat my own pain/tension through targeted stretches and now my numbness is gone and the pain is mostly gone. When the pain comes back I treat it effectively myself. It has helped to decrease the visual symptoms slightly. I am a firm believer in seeing this type of physical therapist (when applicable) as it has literally changed my life! Before this, my prognosis was seeing a traditional physical therapist 3 x a week and going for pain injections (which I never did get). The McKenzie physical therapist was more expensive, but it only took 2 sessions for her to teach me all I needed to know and I have been extremely happy ever since!

2. Allycia

Allycia New Member

Hi there :) So I have a lot to say and don't know where to begin. I have been having the broadband type visual snow (like static), trails, floaters, difficulty seeing at night, and twitching for a long while now..so long I can't remember when it started. Now last Sunday I woke up and more symptoms showed and my previous symptoms got so much worse. (The static, floaters, trails) The most alarming symptom to me was numbness (like novacane) on my right side. It starts in my right hand and travels up my arm and neck and to my face and occasionally down my leg. I went to the ER a few days ago and had blood tests done and a cat scan with all results coming up normal. My blood pressure was a little high but that's to be expected at a ER. The numbness doesn't "go away" it just sits on the back burner almost and gets worse at night, when the visual aspects are more prominent. I also have ringing in my right ear only that has only begun recently as well.