Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

My VS

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by rosophado1, Aug 29, 2018.

1. rosophado1

rosophado1 New Member

Hi
    I found this site having become fed up of both my family and doctors looking at me like I’m insane when I try to describe my VS, brushing it off as migraines etc. Feeling pretty alone.

I’m 17, and started to notice visual snow around February of this year. Since then it’s become my main source of anxiety and panic attacks (although I’ve always been an anxious person), and something that’s really starting to get me down.

I went to an optician to get my eyes checked for the first and only time just a few months ago, and was told that my eyes are perfectly healthy and what I’ve been experiencing is just migraine aura, which isn’t the case but I’d gathered from research that it wasn’t worth pursuing further doctors.
    I’ll explain everything I’ve experienced.

First I noticed a floater in my left eye. And I thought this was bothersome...

Then I started to notice what I believe is called the blue entoptic phenomenon, first just looking at the sky, then more severely anytime I was somewhere bright, or looking at something white (especially paper, which makes it very distracting considering I have to do a lot of studying at the moment).

The next thing is pretty hard to describe, but I hope you can understand :/ This, along with the VS, is the most bothersome symptom in my opinion. So again, when it’s bright, I see these dark blobs travelling towards the centre of my vision. I can’t leave my house without sunglasses these days in fear that I will have to notice this (I am literally scared of bright light.. ridiculous I know). I am yet to hear of anyone who experiences this also; if you do, please let me know :)

A couple of months ago, I noticed that I was having what I believe are hallucinations upon waking up. These would disappear pretty quickly as I became fully awake. The most common ones were pinwheels, and once a weird honeycomb pattern of hexagons. I no longer experience these, however, but they scared the hell out of me.

A pretty consistent problem I’ve been having is trouble processing patterns. For example, very busy patterns like stripes and grids. It’s hard to explain, but I see like clear lines striking through the pattern and it seems to flicker? Weird I know. I hate it.

The last thing (finally) has only happened a handful of times. It’s like all the snow sifts towards the middle of my vision and makes things look like they’re moving if that makes sense? This has only happened whilst walking my dog in the woods and it looked like the mud on the ground was flowing.

I also experience tinnitus that changes. Most often it sounds like a TV without signal, and sometimes a very high pitched tone. It drives me insane.

The only changes in my health since my VS starting are:
    - starting the contraceptive pill for medical reasons
    - becoming vegetarian (I did briefly become iron deficient, but now I take supplements)
    - developing nasal polyps (probably completely unrelated but I thought I’d mention it)

I’ve also noticed while having a cold the VS is much more noticeable.

If anyone has managed to read this far through my list of problems (long, but I’m sure I’ve probably missed a thing or two), then thank you. Please reply with any thoughts, I’d appreciate it :)

Scotsofrenic likes this.
  2. Scotsofrenic

Scotsofrenic New Member

Hi there. Your not going crazy trust me!

I have suffered with this for almost 35 years. For the most I have managed to ignore the symptoms as I have never known anything different.
    The hardest part for me is the floaters which are increasing with age for me .
    It drives me crazy 25 days out of a month on average with a couple of good days here and there.

Luckily there is now research being done into the VS . Look on YouTube for the Visual snow initiative.

Hope this helps you even slightly knowing there's hope for us