Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

My Visual Snow Story

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Jade, Apr 26, 2018.

1. Jade

Jade New Member

Hi Everyone, My name is Jade and I am almost 16 years old. I have had visual snow all my life, though I wasn't diagnosed until I was 14 because I never realized that anything was wrong. When I was a freshman, I went to the eye doctor one day because I came home from school every day with headaches due to the fluorescent lights in the building. We were going to ask the doctor about getting blue blockers, which are special glasses with a coating on the lens which blocks blue light, making fluorescent lights look much less bright. Before the doctor even came in, I just sat there, next to my mother, and stared at the wall. I just stared at that yellow wall and it made my head ache just looking at it. Then I saw it. The static. I looked around and it was everywhere, and it that moment I realized that I had never stopped to ask why things around me moved instead of thinking it was completely normal. When the doctor came in, I explained all of my symptoms and everything that I see on a daily basis. He explains in total awe that just that day, he met someone who told him all about Visual Snow Syndrome. He very quickly diagnosed me with VSS, and told me that I was very lucky, for if that person hadn't talked to him, or if I had come the day before, I would have never been diagnosed. After that, everything changed. About a month later I got my glasses, and let me tell you they are amazing. They calm the static to about half its normal severity. I am now at the very end of my sophomore year. From then to now, my VSS has gotten much worse. I cannot read, even with my glasses. I might not be able to drive, though I was supposed to be starting driver's ed this summer. I now have a 504 plan, and I have special accommodations such as being allowed to use my phone in class because I have a magnifying app to be able to read. I have colored overlays which make the words on the page/screen much clearer, and all of my assignments have to be printed in a very large font size. Though it is a huge struggle, I don't let it hold me back. My mother explained to me a while ago that she has no doubt in her mind that I have this syndrome, though she cannot see what I am seeing, and no one can. She explained that when I was just a toddler, maybe two or three, I would explain to my mother in babble speak that the world is moving, or that there are glowing turquoise orbs around lighted objects. And when I was in primary school, my mean teacher would accuse me of not reading things but really it was because I couldn't pick up what the book was saying because I had to focus on reading each word to figure out what it was. I can only pray that it won't get worse from here, because if it does, my future will be affected greatly. Not being able to see or read isn't a quality that most businesses want their employees to have. Anyway, I joined this site because I wanted to be able to communicate with other people with this syndrome, because there aren't a whole lot of us in the world, and even if there are, they're hidden, because just like me, they probably think it's just normal. Well, thanks for reading this giant post, and hopefully I'll get to meet some people who can relate to my story. :)