Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Gluten-Free

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by Jackie Vest, Jul 25, 2014.

1. Jackie Vest

Jackie Vest Active Member

I've recently discovered that I have vs, and also recently re-located. Therefore I have a lapse in between getting in to see a doctor and being able to discuss possible treatments for my vs. In my waiting I decided to try to figure out other possible triggers of my vs, even if I didn't think they were triggers at all. I've tried separately eliminating soy, eliminating gluten, and will try an experiment with sleep. I wanted to post the results of my gluten experiment here since I have seen many topics on it in the VS Facebook group.

I heard that people who have a gluten intolerance can experience migraines as a result. I know that vs is different from migraine, but I've got time and nothing to lose.

I completely eliminated all gluten from my diet for 6 full weeks. I made everything from scratch at home and rarely ate out. When I did, of course I was sure to find a GF option.

Results: absolutely no change. Not in the slightest. No increase, no decrease, no change.

Writing this as I finally enjoy a really delicious bagel again :)

(Soy was also no change. Next I am going to go several weeks while getting a mandatory 8 hours of sleep - I'm a busy mom and guilty of 4-7 hours - will post a new one on the effects of sleep. I feel it won't cure the vs, but might help reduce it.)

2. Jackie Vest

Some additional info:

I began the experiment on June 13 and ended on July 25.

I did not keep a daily journal of my vs symptoms, my life is busy enough with kids and writing and this was for myself.

If I did keep a daily journal of my VS Symptoms (static, floaters, BFEP, light sensitivity, flashes of light, after images - see more in the symptoms section of this forum), it would have looked like this: Day 1 Same, Day 2 Same, Day 3 Same, Day 4 Same, Day 5 Same, Day 6 Same...

This was obviously not scientific, not double blind, not part of a large group. I did it for myself and I'm sharing the personal results. If you want something concrete, you'll need to keep looking.

Outside of vs, the changes were as follows:
    • Felt "lighter" (in the head and in the body, for the first 3 weeks)
    • Lost about 3 pounds initially in the first 3 weeks, but it leveled off in the later 3 (I have a low BMI, so weight loss is not necessarily a plus for me)
    • Felt hungry more often. I'm assuming this was because the other carbs are more quickly digested. And I work out (run / lift heavy weights) on most days.
    • It did not boost my energy levels or significantly reduce them
    I know everyone has a bias, but I didn't do this with a huge one. I want to find relief and I'll try anything that might have any benefit, especially if I can try it holistically. I have friends and family who are truly allergic to gluten, and I have friends and family who are GF for the diet. I don't care either way, just wanted to give it a fair shot and see if I felt any different. Overall, as it had no changes on my vs at all, and did not make me feel "healthier" in any way, nor did I notice advantages to my new "lifestyle," I have no interest in pursuing it any further.

I never set out to debunk it, but nonetheless, it is debunked for me.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2014
  3. missgord

missgord Member

I did gluten free also for a couple of days while I was waiting for blood test results. I was also initially convinced that this absolutely MUST be a gluten allergy, until my tests came back normal.

Life without gluten was ROUGH! I was genuinely dreaming about bread. But would have been worth it for life without VS :)

Jackie Vest likes this.
  4. Bobby Rae

Bobby Rae New Member

I have done a sleep test. It helps.
    The more sleep the less tired the eyes, less pain and much longer before eyes will start to hurt.

I have not noticed any amount of decrease in visual snow. (Sleeping 12 hours a day at least.) But increases toleration light; computer screens, Television Sunlight.

Also increases amount of reading possible before pain.

More reading TV computers= more pain and increase in amount of snow.
    Light = more loss of vision
    Extra sleep does not remove Vs but reduces pain and increases tolerance. =) help it helps

Last edited: May 4, 2015
  5. Jackie Vest

Thanks for sharing - I agree! The less sleep I get, the far worse my symptoms.