Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by Jackie Vest, Jul 25, 2014.

1. Jackie Vest

Jackie Vest Active Member

I've recently discovered that I have vs, and also recently re-located. Therefore I have a lapse in between getting in to see a doctor and being able to discuss possible treatments for my vs. In my waiting I decided to try to figure out other possible triggers of my vs, even if I didn't think they were triggers at all. I've tried separately eliminating soy, eliminating gluten, and will try an experiment with sleep. I wanted to post the results of my gluten experiment here since I have seen many topics on it in the VS Facebook group.

I heard that people who have a gluten intolerance can experience migraines as a result. I know that vs is different from migraine, but I've got time and nothing to lose.

I completely eliminated all gluten from my diet for 6 full weeks. I made everything from scratch at home and rarely ate out. When I did, of course I was sure to find a GF option.

Results: absolutely no change. Not in the slightest. No increase, no decrease, no change.

Writing this as I finally enjoy a really delicious bagel again :)

(Soy was also no change. Next I am going to go several weeks while getting a mandatory 8 hours of sleep - I'm a busy mom and guilty of 4-7 hours - will post a new one on the effects of sleep. I feel it won't cure the vs, but might help reduce it.)
  2. Jackie Vest

Some additional info:

I began the experiment on June 13 and ended on July 25.

I did not keep a daily journal of my vs symptoms, my life is busy enough with kids and writing and this was for myself.

If I did keep a daily journal of my VS Symptoms (static, floaters, BFEP, light sensitivity, flashes of light, after images - see more in the symptoms section of this forum), it would have looked like this: Day 1 Same, Day 2 Same, Day 3 Same, Day 4 Same, Day 5 Same, Day 6 Same...

This was obviously not scientific, not double blind, not part of a large group. I did it for myself and I'm sharing the personal results. If you want something concrete, you'll need to keep looking.

Outside of vs, the changes were as follows:
    • Felt "lighter" (in the head and in the body, for the first 3 weeks)
    • Lost about 3 pounds initially in the first 3 weeks, but it leveled off in the later 3 (I have a low BMI, so weight loss is not necessarily a plus for me)
    • Felt hungry more often. I'm assuming this was because the other carbs are more quickly digested. And I work out (run / lift heavy weights) on most days.
    • It did not boost my energy levels or significantly reduce them
    I know everyone has a bias, but I didn't do this with a huge one. I want to find relief and I'll try anything that might have any benefit, especially if I can try it holistically. I have friends and family who are truly allergic to gluten, and I have friends and family who are GF for the diet. I don't care either way, just wanted to give it a fair shot and see if I felt any different. Overall, as it had no changes on my vs at all, and did not make me feel "healthier" in any way, nor did I notice advantages to my new "lifestyle," I have no interest in pursuing it any further.

I never set out to debunk it, but nonetheless, it is debunked for me.
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2014
  3. missgord

missgord Member

I did gluten free also for a couple of days while I was waiting for blood test results. I was also initially convinced that this absolutely MUST be a gluten allergy, until my tests came back normal.

Life without gluten was ROUGH! I was genuinely dreaming about bread. But would have been worth it for life without VS :)
    Jackie Vest likes this.
  4. Bobby Rae

Bobby Rae New Member

I have done a sleep test. It helps.
    The more sleep the less tired the eyes, less pain and much longer before eyes will start to hurt.

I have not noticed any amount of decrease in visual snow. (Sleeping 12 hours a day at least.) But increases toleration light; computer screens, Television Sunlight.

Also increases amount of reading possible before pain.

More reading TV computers= more pain and increase in amount of snow.
    Light = more loss of vision
    Extra sleep does not remove Vs but reduces pain and increases tolerance. =) help it helps
    Last edited: May 4, 2015
  5. Jackie Vest

Thanks for sharing - I agree! The less sleep I get, the far worse my symptoms.