Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Clonazepam (Klonopin)

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by Yeti, Dec 6, 2014.

1. Yeti

Yeti New Member

I have had VS for 3.5 years. I was diagnosed with Persistent positive visual phenomenom of migraine. I was given a prescription for topamax which, among other uses, is used for migraine prevention. This did not work at all.
    After perusing forums and articles I found clonazepam has helped some people so I asked my doctor if I could try that.
    It works!!!!
    It is a benzodiazepine which is in the same drug class as Xanax and Valium, although I did try Valium but it didn't help.
    This has helped me immensely, and (unfortunately) I cannot go a day without it.
    Please look into this medication if you are still needing help. I think I would go crazy without it.
    Good luck!

Yeti

2. HCMG

HCMG New Member

Hello Yeti,

It sounds like you have similar symptoms to me. I have had vs for 14 years or so and also have found that my symptoms reduce when taking benzos. I would however warn you that taking benzos on a regular basis can lead to dependency and I would suggest you view this as a temporary measure because it can do more harm than good, Particularly later on down the track.

Interesting though that there is a relationship between benzos and VS.

Hope you are feeling ok today...

3. Yeti

Yeti New Member

Thanks HCMG!
    Yeah I should have mentioned the dependency risk. It is a scheduled (controlled substance) medication. I am still exploring other avenues to get off this drug, but in the meantime it has been a lifesaver. Ever since the VS started I would get constant migraines from being at work (computers, bright lights)..That ended once I started clonazepam.
    I would like to find a CURE though, not a bandaid, as so many drugs are.
    Tired of hoping the doctors will find something wrong, in an eye exam or MRI. That is a sick way of thinking!

Every day is an adventure!! Have a good one.